Sunday, August 2, 2009

What 30 looks like!

O.k. so I turned 30, and for those of you who have read my blog you know I had a long list of things to do before my birthday!

Well, I didn't do it all-I didn't even do a lot of what was on my list! I did become fearless in sharing Christ-and I am glad! I think that was probably the most important.

Other then that though, I didn't do my list.

sooooooooooooo how's 30 you ask? WONDERFUL!

I have just spent the first 10 days of my 30's serving on staff for the "Happiness Retreat"-a ten day retreat for special needs adults. Some were high functioning and only because of their physical disabilities were limited. They worshipped like me. They joked like me. They understood the need for God's word like me. They were beautiful people. Some were not so high functioning, were sick and needed extra help doing everything they did. What was beautiful, was this was a safe place for them to be themselves.

Chris was the camp Pastor and I know he's my husband, but he rocked it! His sermons were about grace and about how to follow Christ! What we didn't realize would happen was how God would use those worship times to speak to the staff, the caregivers, the parents, and the counselors! It was awesome to see how God can work through simple people like us.

I was so excited to get to lead worship. There was a band (which I loved), and it was just fun singing in a group that was more interested in vertical worship (it's all about God) then horizontal worship (everyone look at me). What was even more amazing was how no matter the level of skill or even the ability to verbally communicate, all that were there worshipped freely, openly, and amazingly! I was so inspired by the purity of heart! When they offered themselves in worship it was sincere, and I was moved.

Now we're back home and I am praying that I can keep that mindset that the campers taught me. Love God and express that no matter if I don't do it perfectly, or don't say just the right thing! Give God the glory, and don't look back!

If this is what my 30's are going to look like-then I wish they'd gotten here sooner!

2 comments:

Malissa said...

I came across your blog, and I really like it. I didn't realize at first that I knew you. How odd?? It's truly a small world. You may not remember me though. From ECU, married to Brent.

Keep writing! It's encouraging.

Preacher's Best Gal said...

Thanks, it is a small world!